Green Space Dark Skies is a Walk the Plank project that has been commissioned by Unboxed: Creativity in the UK – one of 10 groundbreaking commissions designed to reach millions, bring people together, and showcase UK creativity globally, underpinned by three values: to be open, original and optimistic. Green Space Dark Skies will see up to 24 spectacular events in the landscape embedded in a 12-month programme of engagement that celebrates the contemporary landscapes of Britain while also flinging open the doors and welcoming people in. The project is UK wide: 13 events in England, four in Scotland, four in Wales and three in Northern Ireland. Green Spaces Dark Skies places environmental sustainability at its core, aiming to deliver significant positive social and environmental impact for all. We aim to be a carbon net-positive project, combining exemplar low-emissions production with climate investments benefiting nature and communities. Sustainability Guiding Principles
- Leave No Trace: We have a shared responsibility for protecting the natural environment, biodiversity and climate: We will ‘walk lightly on the land’ in all of our activity, leaving no trace of our time there.
- Beyond Net Zero: The project will be an exemplar low carbon production, be carbon net-positive and invest in nature and climate.
- Circular Economy: We will have a zero-waste policy, use minimum resources from sustainable sources, plan for the re-use and repurposing of materials, and innovate in our practice and technology
- Inspire: We will highlight the beauty, value and diversity of species that our landscapes provide a home to, and tell our sustainability story.
- Transparency: We will measure and report on all our impacts, positive and negative.
BASIC ROLE INFORMATION
Job Title: Sustainability Manager
Remuneration: £24,000 (fixed fee, for approx. 10-15 days pcm, Jan 22 – Oct 22)
Duration: Jan 2022 – October 2022
Responsible to: Head of Production, Walk the Plank
Liaison With: WtP core staff, freelance contractors, national and local partners, suppliers, other external agencies
- Self-starter, used to working on own initiative.
- Good understanding of environmental sustainability and event industry best practice.
- An appreciation of the value of data and with a keen eye for detail.
- Methodical working.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to advocate for the project and to engage with a range of stakeholders as necessary.
- Able to be entrepreneurial and willing to innovate.
- A passion for sustainable working and committed to inclusive practice, with evidence of promoting inclusive working in previous roles.